Salary: $150000 – $190000
An LA-based coffee company known for its innovative beverage and food program seeks a Vice President of Operations to lead the company through scaling the brand (from 10+ to more than 30+ locations in the next few years) while maintaining a thriving, mission-driven culture. The VP of Operations plays a critical role with developing and implementing several key strategic initiatives as well as helping deliver excellence in customer experience, sales, and profitability.
The VP of Operations oversees internal company operations in order to execute the strategy set forth by the CEO and other executives in the company. The VP of Operations is a strategic thought partner and leader, responsible for bringing rigor, strategy and operational excellence to the overarching vision and big ideas of the company and its CEO. This role is meant to complement the CEO’s key strengths and build rigorous leadership muscle internally.
This role is broad, and will lead several major operational departments in the company, including Cafe Operations, Culinary, Warehouse and HR. They will also work closely with the Product, Warehouse and Digital teams to achieve company goals.
- Achieve operational excellence
- Operationalize best practices for organizational design, standard operating procedures, vendor management, supply chain structure, cost control measures
- Implement strong company-wide reporting tools to support effective operations and transparency into results
- Translate ambition and goals into strategy and action
- Develop actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with CEO
- Build and manage a team of top performing executives and leaderS
- Deliver financial rigor necessary for sustained business growth
- Maintain full P&L oversight of all departments directly managed with an emphasis on financial rigor and excellence at the cafes.
- Lead the creation of budget inputs and resource allocations, including oversight of company G&A, CAPEX, and cash management.
- Build cultural excellence through the embodiment of our values by clearly communicating expectations, rigorous goal setting and empowering business education and leadership at all levels of the company
- Act as a community champion; embracing, protecting, and building on the culture while serving our team members and the greater community, building a highly inclusive culture that ensures team members can thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- Build upon the existing company culture to create infrastructure such as review systems and effective goal setting and accountability ins support of performance based operational and product excellence
- Partner with leaders across the company to tackle organizational change, launch new programs, and special projects
- Assist in board communications and investor relations
- Become an ambassador for the brand and product internally and externally, demonstrating coffee, culinary and hospitality expertise
- Maintain credibility with all teams in the company by implementing a strong “game”, meeting with shop, warehouse and commissary teams regularly and staying up to date on the needs of those teams
- Directly oversee retail and culinary operations, as well as HR and warehouse. Work closely with finance and IT, and partner with CEO so that sufficient investment capital can be budgeted to achieve growth targets in the near term
- Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention
- Ability to demonstrate a complete understanding of the Company’s values and standards
- Ability to foster an inspiring, team-first atmosphere for all employees, ensuring that they are all working in service of the same goal: to build real community by sharing incredible coffee with incredible service, always reaching for the next level of excellence
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, organized and attentive to detail
- Ability to operate with steadiness and focus in a startup atmosphere
- Excellent management and people development skills – you lead by example, have a growth mindset, and teach and empower your team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Ability to ruthlessly set priorities and manages time and multiple tasks despite unexpected interruptions
- Ability to articulate and exemplify the brand’s culture and standards.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, with the ability to execute tactical day-to-day deliverables.
- 5+ years of experience that includes working in a strategic and/or operations leadership role, ideally Director of Operations, VP of Operations, or COO
- Exceptional track record of leadership with 5+ years’ experience in managing large teams
- P+L ownership experience, ideally in the hospitality industry
- Proven track record of delivering results, both financial and customer-service oriented
- Experience at growth stage startups preferred, though not required; but ability to pivot fast when necessary, comfort with ambiguity, and drive to get things done is critical
- Experience in retail or hospitality preferred
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
- We offer competitive salaries and employee equity
- We offer company-sponsored medical benefits through Kaiser Permanente for both yourself and your dependents
- Additional vision and dental benefits
- We offer a 401k retirement savings plan
- Free drinks, one free bag of coffee per week, and discounts on all food and merch
- We are a growing company rooted in the LA area
- We have a proven track record of promoting from within
- We are a team full of passionate people who love what we do
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.