A corporate Dining Service company that serves a well known tech company seeks a Junior Sous chef to assist in providing high quality dining experiences for their employees, clients and visitors. As the Junior Sous Chef you will work Monday through Friday with a set scheduled time. You will be preparing tasty and nutritious food, made from scratch, with a strong emphasis on local and organically grown ingredients.
Essential Functions of the Junior Sous Chef
- Responsible for achieving company objectives and goals. Foster and promote brand and values within the client’s culinary culture.
- Promote and ensure that all staff is adhering to safety culture.
- Maintain a safe working environment by using food handling skills and proper food safety guidelines.
- Develop and maintain an employee engagement program that is based on the brand's core values.
- Partner with upper management and HR for guidance regarding corrective actions, reviews and employee issues.
- Responsible for consistently meeting the Company’s Key Performance Indicators [i.e., safety, staffing levels, attrition, etc.].
- Follows standard operation procedures set by the company.
- Manages assigned staff, to including scheduling kronos time clock activity and performance.
- Communicates job expectations to hourly employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; developing, coordinating; and enforcing systems, policies procedures, and productivity standards.
- Continuously seeks opportunities to improve the customer experience.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Serves as a role model for hourly employees, to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Responsible for production according to recipes/directions.
- Sets, manage and follow up on prep and production goals.
- Maintains food quality standards for the café. Oversees all phases of food procurement, production and service. Including: inventory, ordering, storage/rotation, food preparation, recipe adherence, plate presentation, service and production time standards.
- Conducts daily line checks, food reviews and recipes of the day. Ensures that clear feedback is provided to the entire kitchen team.
- Ensures the cleanliness of the kitchen by maintaining to specified standards, passing Health Department audits with a minimum of 90% or equivalent, and training staff on proper sanitation guidelines.
- Prepares food items consistently by adhering to standards with portion sizes, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures.
- Able to interview new team members considering our values and culture.
- Other duties as assigned.
- *NOTE: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks which are illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed or assigned by this position.
Job Requirements: Knowledge and Skills
- Follows safety and sanitation procedures with all guidelines from OSHA and Department of Health.
- Excellent verbal skills with an ability to adjust communication style to suit the audience.
- Excellent culinary skills.
- Lead by example.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects on a consistent basis.
- Ability to understand and speak Spanish is a plus but not required.
- Mid to high level skill in navigation/use of common work programs included in Microsoft Office, as well as ERP, and any other program use by Flagship to conduct business.
- Ability to stay organized, prioritized and manage a busy schedule.
- Ability to handle kitchen equipment and tools safely.
- Interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Utilization of knife skills in a fast, efficient and safe manner.
- Sense of urgency.
- Professional appearance.
- Ability to move throughout the café and kitchen.
- High volume production & large batch cooking.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to work with and support union employees and collaborate with union representatives (if applicable).
- Able to delegate work and hold others accountable for achieving needed results within designated timelines.
- Strong ability to influence positive change.
- Know where things are in the kitchen and how to use the equipment.
Job Requirements: Work Experience
- Culinary Degree (preferred but not required).
- Exemplary record of attendance, safety and performance in previous position.
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments demonstrating upward career tracking.
- 3-5 years’ experience of kitchen management in a full service, moderate to high volume restaurant or equivalent.
- Must have and maintain an active Management Level Food Handlers’ Certification (ServSafe) and adhere to local food handler requirements
The work environment for includes the following large kitchen environment elements and exposures.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high noise level.
- The job operates in a corporate kitchen.
- Fast paced office environment when working in the café office.
- Fast paced kitchen, frequently changing environment in which interruptions are considered normal.
- Work environment involved constant exposure to working with chemicals.
- Work environment entails constant exposure to food allergens such as milk, egg, nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat and soy.
- High sense of urgency.
- Slippery/uneven surfaces may be encountered.
- Frequently moving from cold freezer to normal kitchen environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constant use of hands while moving and using food carts, cooking equipment, etc.
- Constant use of hands while prepping and cooking food.
- Constant repetitive hand motion while grasping food, cooking and utilizing equipment
- Occasional repetitive hand motion when pushing/pulling food racks, carts, etc.
- Constant Lifting and carrying items weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Occasional lifting and carrying items frequently weighing between 21lbs - 40 lbs.
- Items weighing over 40 lbs. must be carried by two (2) people.
- Job requires frequent reaching across surface, above shoulders and outwards
- Good or corrective vision is required to safely perform all duties.
- Frequent standing, walking, bending and twisting are required to perform cooking, and food prep duties. Squatting and kneeling mat be required. Good balance required to safely perform all assigned tasks. Neck flexion and usage will be constant while performing assigned tasks.
- Environmental demands: hot surfaces such as ovens, stoves, etc. Use of step ladders. Greasy and wet floors. Fumes from burnt oils and greases.
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Authorized to work in the U.S.
-Work/life balance (Monday through Friday Schedule)
- Family Leave
- EOE - We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.