We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Fine Dining General Manager to oversee operations for a new intimate 80 seat, dinner only, hyper seasonal, Japanese Kaiseki restaurant located in New York City. The ideal candidate will have a deep appreciation for Japanese cuisine, a passion for providing exceptional guest experiences, and a proven track record in managing high-end fine dining establishments. As the General Manager, you will play a pivotal role in maintaining the restaurant's reputation for excellence, overseeing all aspects of operations, and ensuring the highest standards of service and quality. The General Manager will be tasked with pre-opening responsibilities including but not limited to hiring and training support management and staff. Target opening date is November 1, 2023.
- Operational Leadership: Provide strategic direction and leadership to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the restaurant. Oversee day-to-day activities, including staff management, reservations, guest services, and dining room management.
- Guest Experience: Uphold the restaurant's commitment to delivering an exceptional dining experience. Implement and maintain service standards, ensuring each guest feels welcomed, valued, and leaves with a lasting impression.
- Staff Management: Recruit, train, and develop a team of skilled professionals. Foster a positive and inclusive work environment that promotes teamwork, growth, and excellence.
- Financial Management: Develop and manage budgets, analyze financial performance, and implement cost-effective measures while maintaining the restaurant's high standards. Maximize revenue generation through effective pricing strategies and upselling opportunities.
- Quality Control: Ensure the highest level of food and beverage quality, presentation, and consistency in line with traditional Japanese Kaiseki principles.
- Inventory and Supplies: Oversee inventory management and procurement of restaurant supplies, ingredients, and beverages.
- Health and Safety: Uphold strict health and safety standards, ensuring compliance with all relevant regulations and guidelines.
- Marketing and Promotion: Collaborate with the marketing team to develop and implement promotional strategies, events, and partnerships to attract and retain clientele.
- Relationship Building: Foster relationships with suppliers, vendors, and partners to ensure the availability of premium ingredients and resources.
- Innovation: Stay updated on industry trends, customer preferences, and competition, and propose innovative ideas to enhance the restaurant's offerings and overall experience.
- Fine Dining Expertise: Strong background in high-end fine dining, with a deep understanding of Japanese Kaiseki cuisine and its traditional rituals.
- Leadership and Management: Proven ability to lead and inspire teams, drive operational excellence, and manage a diverse staff.
- Guest-Centric Approach: Exceptional customer service skills, with the ability to create memorable experiences that exceed guest expectations.
- Financial Acumen: Strong financial management skills, including budgeting, cost control, and revenue generation.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to interact effectively with guests, staff, and stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving: Aptitude for quickly assessing situations, making informed decisions, and resolving issues in a fast-paced environment.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Respect and understanding of Japanese culture and its influence on the dining experience.
- Attention to Detail: Meticulous attention to detail to ensure the highest standards of quality and presentation.
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management, Business Administration, or a related field .
- 5+ years of progressive management experience in fine dining restaurant management, with at least 2 years in a General Manager role.
- Proven track record of successfully managing a high-end restaurant, preferably with some experience in Japanese or Asian cuisine.
- Some knowledge of Japanese Kaiseki cuisine, including its history, traditions, and cultural significance or a strong desire to learn about Japanese food culture and customs.
- Familiarity with New York City's culinary scene and discerning clientele. Must have NYC restaurant experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, leadership abilities, and conflict resolution capabilities.
- Proficiency in restaurant management software and MS Office suite.
- Food Safety Certification and other relevant industry certifications preferred.
- Japanese speaking is highly preferred.
If you are a passionate and accomplished hospitality professional with a deep appreciation for Japanese cuisine/culture and a desire to lead an exceptional fine dining establishment, we invite you to apply and join our team.