This position is the culinary leader of the events venue kitchen. The team leading the only large format event space will be expected to set new standards and trends for the event world. The team of the Director of Events and the Executive Chef have a unique opportunity to create dishes, stations, passed appetizers, platters and entrees that are fresh and new to the galas and weddings in New York City. This chef will not only be expected to use the first 9 months (December 2023 to August 2024) to practice, test and invent new ways to execute Large Scale Michelin Dining.
Executive Chef works with Director of Events to ensure the signed clients’ expectations are exceeded and to ensure the consistency from the tastings to the event continues.
- Oversee day to day operations of Venue and all private events
- Create Banquet menu in coordination with Michelin-awarded Culinary Director (collaboration with Director of Events)
- Coordinate with ESC to assist with project planning & staff management
- Ensure HACCP is being used correctly in kitchen
- Delegate daily tasks to Sous Chefs
- Ensure quality of product & product sourcing
- Research & order packaging and equipment
- Expedite the line as needed during events: service of cocktail hour stations and passed canapes, choice appetizers, choice entrees and sometimes after party stations.
- Control operational cost, labor & OT in coordination with Budget
- Coordinate and manage purchasing in coordination with Budget
- Schedule food tasting with Director of Events and Culinary Director, seasonally
- Execute Client Tastings 5 weeks prior to all events
- Maintain an ‘open door policy’ with employees by reporting all complaints and issues involving staff or guests to HR
- Have a valid food handler’s license
- Manage & lead daily pre meal meetings and keep staff aware of changes, updates, events, stages/new hires, etc.
- Implement company policies and protocols & maintain standards
- Problem solve and address any issues in a timely manner
- Ensure company policies and procedures are followed
- Nurture positive working relationships with staff
- Lead by & set a good example for staff
- Self Manage timelines to achieve goals & daily tasks
- Manage culinary staff and kitchen operations for a catering/banquet venue (seated up to 550)
- Manage all aspects food production to ensure high quality exceeding client expectations
- Mentor and train culinary employees to follow established procedures
- Manage/Work in a collaborative approach with front-of-house and event programming teams
- Create menu production guides to ensure consistent quality and efficient execution
- Oversee employees to ensure food safety standards and menu item quality, while maintaining
- NYC Department of Health guidelines
- Perform administrative tasks, including weekly and monthly financial reporting
- Manage purchasing procedures to ensure menus are executed according to quality standards and budget and on schedule
- Manage the receiver and invoices via the company’s bill pay software platform
- Manage kitchen employee schedules via the company’s scheduling software platform
- Create and manage systems and training to minimize waste
- Participate in recruiting, training, and creating pathways for team member career development
- Maintain a leadership stance and professional demeanor at all times
- Foster a climate of cooperation and respect among all team members
Knowledge, Experience, And Criteria
- 10 years prior culinary experience, including 4 to 6 years in a management position.
- At least 3 years experience in full-service dining; 3 years in large format catering experience a MUST
- At least 5 years fine dining experience
- Thorough food safety standards knowledge, including NYC Department of Health regulations.
- New York City Food Handler’s Certificate
- Computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs. and stand for at least 8 hours