A.M. Sous Chef
Reports to: BOH Leadership Team: BOH Executive Management Team - Chef De
Cuisine. Executive Chef.
FLSA Classification: Exempt / Salary - overtime ineligible
Key Relationships: BOH Management team, Line Cook Team, Prep & Production
Team, Bar Production Team, Pastry Chef. Pastry Sous Chef
Skillset & Expectations
The position of A.M. Sous Chef at the restaurant requires command & understanding
of a variety of specific kitchen skills and duties including but not limited to:
- Basic and Advanced cooking techniques including curing and fermentation
- Basic and advanced knife skills including tool sharpening
- Understanding the importance of seasoning & balance in all areas of food
- Understanding and command of a wide variety for cooking tools and equipment
- Comfort and control with clear, concise and consistent communication across all
departments - verbal and written.
- Respect of every item and product that enters the kitchen
- Product identification including a deep understanding of quality, the ability to
make real time judgment decisions as such and the ability to communicate
issues to the supplier and coworker alike.
- Meat and Fish handling, storage and butchery
- Basic knowledge of baking and pastry techniques and products
- Understanding of Ordering methods and systems including purveyor relations
- Oversight, Management and development of Receiving Team
- Oversight, Management and development of A.M. Porter team
- Oversight, Management and development of Production Team
- Oversight & Management of Daily Production process including Set-up,
production Lists handling & maintenance, food production quality, family meal
planning & oversight, break-down and station cleaning
- Establish as needed and maintain existing Receiving Standards and Practices
- Oversight of all product storage and organization including beverage, paper &
cleaning supplies, dry goods, produce, eggs, dairy, meats and fish.
- Recipe adherence including real-time changes, as needed, to reflect current spec
and/or product changes and availability
- All relevant staffing support including: scheduling, training, conflict resolution &
mediation as needed, progressive discipline, mentoring and training
- Creative Culinary Input as required during menu and recipe development
In addition to these general A.M. Sous Chef responsibilities , the position requires:
- Flexible regarding schedules including availability on nights and weekends as
- Able to stand on your feet for extended periods of time potentially for the entire
8+ hour shift
- Able to lift at least 40 pounds
- Attentive to every detail
- Professionally engaged
- On time and prepared
- Occasional administrative duties performed outside of the workplace including
email communication, telephone calls, general computer work and meetings as
• Excellence: Bring your personal best to work, demonstrate an earnest intent to
learn and actively solicit feedback to continuously improve and grow.
• Hospitality: Own your behavior and it’s impact on others, demonstrate warmth,
caring, courage and empathy to support and strengthen the team
• Integrity: Use your best judgment to do what is right and fair, courageously
provide honest feedback to colleagues in an effort to hold them accountable to
our standards of excellence.
• Active Learning: Take risks to continuously innovate. Honor mistakes as
opportunities to grow. Share lessons learned with others to fuel learning and
The growth of our teammates is a vital part of our process; we believe and support
Time and Attendance
• Arrive on time and “work-ready” for all scheduled shifts.
• Clock in and out for each scheduled shift and shift break. Exhibit accurate and
effective use of time and attendance portals and procedures.
• Abide by all restaurant Policies. Information on these policies is available
in the service manual.
• Attend all mandatory staff meetings and trainings.
The restaurant is a fast paced, high volume and well respected restaurant. The kitchen
crew works as a team. We pride ourselves on the provenance of our raw materials; the
farms and producers - in combination with our ‘from scratch’ approach and expect our
cooks to share in that pride. Together, we run the kitchen as an outward expression of
ourselves as cooks.